Saturday, November 2, 2013

Another year older

[Not the author...yet]
Age is a tricky thing. Most of us think of chronological age when we talk about how "old" we are. Yet the development or aging of our bodies don't all run at the same speeds. Not everyone has the same intellectual, emotional, or social maturity.

Depending on the ways you are aging and cultural/personal assumptions about which ages are "good" vs. "bad" or "better" vs. "worse", how you respond to reminders of your chronological age such as birthdays can vary quite  a bit.

Are you happier to be older and wiser? Are you sad to "lose" your youth? Or do you just ignore such questions because you are so focused on or distracted by other things?

As for me, I think that the discovery of my uncertain health status so close to my birthday makes me think a little more about getting older and where my life is, but I had been thinking about the latter for over a year so it doesn't come as some huge revelation. Maybe that will come in time.

Perhaps, though, I am simply not awake as so many sacred traditions put it. Might be worth it to work at that with some actual commitment and consistency. But in the mean time it is a cold, sunless, rainy Saturday and I am off to do celebrate in small, simple ways.

How dull, right? No sagely wisdom. No humorous freakout or perspective on life now that I am a certain age.

I don't think you wake up with that stuff. I've been blogging and writing in different online spaces for fifteen years, and this site is just one of the latest. There will be plenty of stuff to read, but not just because I am observing the anniversary of my birth.

Be well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are very welcome! Just keep in mind that unsigned comments ("anonymous" people please sign in the text of your comment), spam, and abusive comments will be deleted.