Monday, November 4, 2013

Autumn Chill

[This is what it felt like when I got out of bed today]
Today was the second day in the "new" clock time after the yearly end of Daylight Savings Time. I think "Fall Back" really means "Fall back into bed after silencing your alarm because your body still thinks it's an hour earlier and it happens to be really cold outside."

But that's just lazy and ungrateful thinking, so I put it aside and appreciated having a place to sleep indoors (even if poorly heated) and a blanket to make me more comfortable. And food, and generally good health, and the ability to feel and experience things, even things I may sometimes judge as good or bad (or non-judge as neutral).

It may have been in the mid-twenties at sunrise this morning, but a cold fall sunrise had its own beauty. While I was having my simple breakfast, the following song started playing. I am not sure I have heard of the artist before, but the music blended with the view outside and the temperature to create an interesting experience/perspective:




A kind of long view perspective, not in images or words but more of a felt thing. It's fascinating to me how the mind puts different elements together like that to create and also subtly influence our sense of reality.

Whatever my own problems, there are others who are suffering more than I am and beyond just the immediate suffering there are elements being put into place today that will determine how many and who will survive and thrive or flail and fail in the immediate and long term of our particular societies as well as our emerging global civilization.

Remembering this isn't at all about never having fun and being a dour scold or fusspot. But being grateful at the start of the day, remembering how quickly we judge and shape our experiences reflexively and often without realizing we are doing it, and considering that each of us can make choices that will have real impacts on our own quality of life and that of others, now and in the future, isn't about pessimism or a grim sense of duty or obligation.

It is a chance to recognize what we can do this day, to have the motivation to do it, and having made that resolve or actually having carried out our action, to be able to appreciate everything else without tension or unease. It is a realization that we do have the ability to make things better and also that everything doesn't depend on any one person doing it all.

I know, I know, it sounds like some lame motivational speech like the kind of stuff that floats around social media like stale platitudinal flotsam. That wasn't what I was going for. Really. Honest. It just kind of came out that way.

Yet it is true. I think we might feel better living in a more conscious way where we make the best of each day, appreciate it for what it is and offers, and make thoughtful choices based on those options. And to recognize that we often have more options than our habitual conditioning allows us to perceive.

But here is something you don't often get in those half-hearted faux-tivational blog posts and speeches. I am terrible at actually doing any of the things I just wrote about. I really, truly don't do it most of the time. Either I don't think of it because I am distracted by my routine unthinking or I just don't feel up to "appreciating" whatever it is that I can perceive that the day is offering. That's likely because I am having some self-centered tunnel vision.

There is a reason why gratitude and waking up to your life's blinders involves practice, whether religious or secular in description. Making it all out as being cheery and optimistic can be anathema to someone who is in an emotional or mental stupor, or worse, who has succumb to anxiety or depression. And while the goal may be to embrace and appreciate all things, there's nothing wrong with starting off with one or two things for a month or twelve.

I see I am rambling again, so I will violate all the official and unofficial advice on how to write a "successful" blog post and just stop writing at this very spot.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are very welcome! Just keep in mind that unsigned comments ("anonymous" people please sign in the text of your comment), spam, and abusive comments will be deleted.